Tuesday, February 26, 2008

THE SUPER FOODS Rx DIET By Wendy Bazilian

I know there are lots of books about diet and weight loss out there. I like this one because I like the ideas in the book. It's not just about losing weight, but about becoming a healthier person. The 14 "super foods" identified in the book include blueberries, oranges, walnuts, turkey and green tea. OK, tea isn't a food, it's a drink, but it does lots of really great stuff for the body! The research in the book seems solid to a lay person like me. I have also heard many of the ideas before.

One of the things I particularly liked was the discussion of portion control. Restaurants seem to believe "bigger is better," not for me. I am not a huge eater anyway, so giving me more isn't something that will get me to come back. Wendy uses two visual images that give a real idea of what a "serving size" should be. She talks about a deck of cards and a tennis ball. She even has stories about people who carry these items with them as a way to remind themselves what they should be eating! There's one story about someone who painted the tennis ball gold! Well, whatever works!

I don't have a weight problem, but I want to be as healthy as I can be. I like the flexibility of the program in the book. I already include many of these foods in my diet just because I like them, but I plan to put all of the "super foods" in. Why not? What do you think?


hear the interview

No comments: