Monday, October 6, 2008

SMALL PLEASURES:  Finding Grace In A Chaotic World
By Justine Toms

This small book is a treasure.  I found ideas and wisdom within its pages presented by telling stories.  

The book is divided into five major sections:
-A WIDER LANDSCAPE:  HOW WE SEE OURSELVES AND THE WORLD
-ANIMALS AND NATURE AS TEACHER
-BEING AN ACTIVIST WITHOUT DRIVING YOURSELF CRAZY
-CIRCLES AND FRIENDSHIP
-CELEBRATIONS AND RITUALS

I admit I read the essays at random and went to the sections I thought would please me the most.  I found some surprising things!  There is an essay titled "Anger Has No Arms or Legs" that takes the Buddhist quote and applies it to a Star Trek episode to illustrate a point about negativity and anger.  I loved it!  

There's is another essay titled "Of Creeks and Spiders" that particularly caught my attention.  There is a tiny spider (genus Wendilgarda ...sounds like something from Harry Potter!) who spins her web and"glues" it to running water.  What?  How can that be?  Thought provoking to say the least.  

I came away with new ideas and perspectives from this book.  I have already recommended it to the participants in one of the many Stress Management classes I facilitate.  I like it when an author gives me something to think about that changes the way I view the world.  What do you think?    


hear the interview

No comments: