Friday, June 6, 2008

WATCHES OF THE NIGHT: A Ben Reese Mystery By Sally Wright

This book captured my attention from the opening sentence. Sally Wright is a master story teller and mystery writer. I love her attention to detail.

The character of Ben Reese is based on a real person who is a university archivist, investigator and veteran of World War II. Sort of like a real-live Sherlock Holmes!

In this novel, Ben is asked to use his experience as a combat scout to help his friend, Kate Lindsay. Kate has received a disturbing package in the mail that starts the mystery "ball rolling" and leads the parties involved into a world of stolen identify, stolen technology, murder, and unintended consequences. There is also a little romance thrown in for good measure.

I have to say that Sally Wright is an exceptional writer. This is the first novel I have read that she has written and it makes me hungry for more. Her descriptions of Tuscany, Scotland and Cornwall made me see those places with my mind. This novel is exceptional and was a real joy to read. What do you think?

"Cheryl, it was a long busy tour, and I want you to know that talking
with you was the best part of the trip. You really love books, and you’re
a very intelligent reader, and it was a real pleasure to spend time with you."
--Sally Wright



No comments: